Friday, June 21, 2013

Mengu Soukrie's journey through 'Love is all we need'

People have often described her as extremely professional but Mengu Suokhrie rather insists that she pushes herself to become one, and adds that “if there is something that people see and you ask where that comes from then it is pure sincerity and hard work, I take my profession seriously and didn't ever for once take it for granted.”
Well, the singer in her has added numerous feathers to her cap even as she stole the limelight on several occasions of importance. The most recent one being the highly acclaimed musical, “We Will Rock You” directed and produced by Ate Kevichusa where she carried off the role of Scaramouche brilliantly. She was also part of the commendable musical, “The Prodigal Son” and has, prior to that, performed at the National Hornbill Festival several times, besides contesting in a national TV program called “Let’s Rock”. She has clearly done a lot of shows and concerts apart from being an opener at the inauguration of the Cricket Stadium at Sovima, opener for renowned international bands like Imflame and Stryper, also sung at “The Origin” Musical besides performing at the T.Ao Opening Ceremony.
One will also see her acting in some short gospel movies to be released soon, one of which is titled, “True Love Will Wait”. Besides her debut album, “Love is all we need” was released last February, produced by the Synergy Group Enterprise and recorded at one of the best recording studios, namely, Clef Ensemble and mastered by a professional, Alfred Besu.
Talking about this period, she recalls, “I had the opportunity to work with a lot of experienced musicians and I learned all the good stuffs being around them…coming up with this album was my tool, in my songs you will hear me and my mind. Every song talks about love, there’s a song where I shared that I do feel sad and my longingness to be happy is so desperate that I wish happiness was a person and imagined and personified happiness. A song called "Kenei", a song where I shared my belief, "Beautiful Soul", a love song for my mom and friends and so if you hear my songs, that’s me there sharing something I feel about love. I treasure this gift God gave me, and I take this as the best opportunity to reach the world.”
She goes on to add that, “the experience I got is tremendously awesome, I got to learn to find myself and express myself, that is the best thing. I learned how to be more serious and take courage to stand, and in the run I learned more about music and its beauty and it is endless. You see everyday is a new experience and it gets even more adventurous....”
So, when did she start singing? At the age of 6, she was at it in Sunday School even as she expresses, “that time I didn't know what I was doing, I just did it for the fun of it. But by God's grace my interest grew unstoppably and it went on and on and from one platform to another till now.” Reminiscing a little more on her childhood, she says, “Well, everyone knows I am from a very humble background, my parents worked hard and brought me up with my other siblings. I've seen life and started life the hard way but by the grace of God I was taught to live life the right way. We don't have anything in excess but it’s a simple and good life with what we get to live with everyday.”
She would describe herself as “Stubborn”, but all in a good way, she grins. “I really don't like running on order. I like being free and expressive, I believe this life is too short so we need to hurry and live everyday doing good. I love expanding my world and reaching my true potential and as of now by God's grace, I am really happy with my family, friends and not forgetting right now, the man I’m so in love with. There are factors and things trying to put me down but I refuse defeat. I fear God because I feel God and without God I am nothing. He created me and I am living to serve Him only and that’s me.”
That’s coming from an effervescent lady who also loves travelling and trying out new cuisines. But as far as music is concerned, she opines that, “we all know our music industry is still a baby, most of the people still don't have faith in music and encourage like the way they will encourage a person to become a doctor or an engineer. I faced the same thing, but we can't blame them all.” “But yes, talking about challenges being a musician is poor market, even if we produce an album the sale is really bad, period. And so to survive with only some income from shows is really hard”, she practically states.
However, she’s been on the run, enjoying what she does and enhancing her skills from lessons on Conducting and Vocals. Her first tutor, she remembers is Miss Martha and adds, “I am still undergoing voice lesson from Madam Ajeen Longchari.” “By taking lessons I feel more polished and having the knowledge of what I am really doing, I feel more confident to deliver. When we take lessons, we learn different techniques and it sounds more beautiful and safe. I have known the benefit of taking guidance and lessons so I will encourage those people with talent to go for lessons because it'll only make you better”, she goes on to say.

She has her own list of things to do and in the near future, plans to come up with more music videos. She hopes to have her next album on stands, a Gospel album, she enlightens even as she professes, “I can't wait to share what God has done for me. Please support me and continue to encourage and pray for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment