Thursday, August 2, 2012

Nancy Epao~ Living the Hollywood Dream

Nancy EpaoHollywood, for the rest of us, is just a fascinating dream. Only a few distinguished people make a name for themselves there for the big global audience to see. Nancy Epao also did not exactly set out for Hollywood. In fact, she says it is by accident and not by design that she is in the film industry.
Although she says, ‘If accidents such as this could be deemed as living a dream, I’d say ‘absolutely!’’
Over a decade’s journey into Hollywood and she has to her credit a long list of works that some of us can only dream about. She has produced films, Promos and PSAs, Commercials and numerous Music Videos, some of which include the MTV Awards T.A.T.U video in 2005, PSA (Public service Announcement) for Boys and Girls Club of America with actress Lisa Vidall which raised over $4 Million dollars for the charity foundation,  INFAMY documentary feature which she put together with Emmy Award winning Director Doug Pray and was the headliner for ResFest 2005 which was screened in over 40 countries around the world and also a highlight at South by Southwest Festival in the same year.
She has worked with the likes of Nicholas Cage and Catherine Zeta Jones, as she did with living legends like Ringo Starr, Smoky Robinson, Temptations, etc. all of which she recalls as ‘exciting’.
But her most personal memorable and fun project, she says, would be with Def Leppard as she goes on to explain: “I grew up listening to them and knew almost every word of every song. Working and hanging out with them for over a week transported me and my sister to another dimension altogether. Aside from getting to see their rehearsals and VIP tickets to their concert, the way they treated me and my crew and maintaining a contact till today is exceptional.”
As a soccer fan, Nancy says, she also enjoyed doing the video for the FIFA 2006 official theme song “I wanna dance” with Lumidee, a remake of Whitney Houston’s song “I wanna dance with somebody”. Another feat certainly would be “The Stranger”, finalist in the 7th Annual Hollywood Film Festivals, directed by Brad Furman and starring Xander Berkley, Pat Healy, Steven Guttenberg and Dylan Smith. She also did a PSA short film for RAINN charity organisation (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) called UNBROKEN with Rachel Bilson also directed by Brad Furman and secured sponsors and doing marketing for Par Coeur Gala Paris 2009 for Eva Longoria and first lady of France Carla Bruni Sarkozy for MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION France with her partner Andreas Kutzer.
Nancy with Nuno of Extreme
Nancy with Nuno of Extreme
Having achieved so much, it comes as no surprise that she is also the first North Eastern flight attendant in Jet Airways, much ahead of the time she got into Hollywood. This, she remembers is also “pure accident”, because she had not intended to apply as Hindi was not her most fluent language and besides the airline was not known to employing North Easterners/Orientals. For her, the interview was impromptu accompanied by a resume written on the spot. But looking back she says, it was the most fun interview she ever had.
“I was very surprised when they called the same day to announce that I passed and I’m due for a series of tests and screenings. That was such uplifting news, considering that I had just returned to Bombay after mourning the loss of my dearest father in Dimapur. He would not have approved that line of career, but what does a young girl do with such an opportunity. I did great through my training although I cringed at the burst of laughter every time I stood up to the microphone to practice my Hindi announcements.” “I was also very lucky to have teachers that truly cared and encouraged me. The highlight of my time at Jet Airways was being selected to be the only attendant to Prince Andrew as he flew with his entourage, and getting a sandalwood garland from him as a present”, she fondly recalls.
Nancy Epao was born in Pfutsero and did her schooling in Nagaland spread between Pfutsero, Kohima and Dimapur. She did her higher secondary studies in Mount Carmel School, New Delhi, after which she came back to Nagaland for a BA degree at Patkai Christian College, and subsequently did her Masters in English Literature from Bombay University.
Further on to her dream world and she explains, “While aspiring to be a film producer was not specifically a childhood dream, my passion and heart was always arts, be it Visual Arts, Applied Arts or the Performing Arts. Being in the film industry allows me to stay connected with this passion. The business side can be challenging and the competition is very stiff. However, almost every other aspect is art in the making - from hair and make-up artists, set builders and decorators (art department), wardrobe stylists, musicians, dancers, actors, directors, photography, all these touch an area of art I revel in.”
Recalling that she did not grow up watching movies with her TV times very minimal and monitored with eagle eyes, she goes on to say that this may explain why she did not connect her dreams with film making as a young girl. So it was more like a discovery rather than a set goal, says the high flying Chakhesang Producer-achiever.
Looking back on her first experience in film production, she says, “Most people pursuing a career in films have a diploma or degree in film course either in college or special career courses in universities here in the US.” She, on the other hand, did not have this privilege, but says, “I dove in first and learned the craft as I went along. My beginning days were filled with excitement and I was willing to do anything from helping a painter paint the wall a crazy colour, to doing craft service (the person in charge of supplying the cast and crew with a table filled refreshments….not the caterer and quite a lower position in the hierarchy of set crew), PA (production assistant –lowest of the set crew).”
“I did it happily because I wanted to learn by doing, not just by watching, besides, being on the set was so thrilling to me”, she confesses.
Nancy does think that her Naga background has an influence on her as she feels that growing up in Nagaland basically gave her the tools for being resourceful and creative while pointing to ‘our playgrounds - climbing trees, running in the open fields, rolling in the mud on a rainy day: our toys – making dolls out of corn ears and tricycles out of wood, summer vacations - helping grandparents in rice fields. Then, as young girls, we cultivate hobbies such as knitting, making dresses for our dolls, cross-stitching, embroidery, weaving…all sorts of handicraft that most Naga children grow up with.’
“All these equipped me to handle many situations that come up on set and in life. A Naga Christian upbringing most of all, coupled with a firm lesson
from my father to uphold Naga legacy of honesty, respect and honour no matter what, are my guiding posts”, she says.
Nancy with Celine Dion
Nancy with Celine Dion
Marking her 14th year in the profession this year, she insists, “I’m still learning, growing and loving it. I continue to work towards a higher goal. I have a deep desire to somehow put Nagaland in the map in this industry. All up to God.”
The greatest challenge in her field, she says is “People. Human dynamics. It’s all about team work in production. Every project has several arms/departments and when one area fails, it affects the entire project. Of course, for big projects such as major feature films, financing is always a challenge. But that also boils down to people/human relationships at the end. I remember what my father would tell me often “learn the art of human management and everything else is easy”.
Currently, her focus is on feature films...knee deep in securing investments for several projects with great cast attachments such as Brad Furman, director of Lincoln Lawyer, who, she says, actually came up through her old company and they have been through several film projects and some years of trials and errors and success as well. “Optikal Noize, Inc. (new company with my partner Andreas Kutzer) we have aligned ourselves with a well established Hollywood film house as a strategic partner. We hope to make an announcement soon with some good news”, she beams.
Although, there is no immediate plan or clear idea how to fulfil her desire of giving back to our people (in her words), Nancy expresses passionately, “My heart is in Nagaland…I do believe that it will crystallise when the time is right. One way would be bringing well known dancers/choreographers, musicians, producers and recording technicians, record label executives, film directors, etc, to Nagaland and give guidance and lessons to young talents. I try to stay on track with what young Nagas are doing in these fields and I’m so impressed and proud. However, that final polish is lacking sometimes. And of course, exposure. I feel that this will not only enhance these areas but also bring focus to our tremendous talents and to Nagas as a people through influential media movers and shakers. I do believe that God will show the way and at the right time.”
When asked where she sees herself five years from now, she says, “In a perfect world, I would be riding on the success of the projects I am currently working on at the moment, and hopefully be working on a film project tied to Naga history.”
But as a main and the most important note, Nancy Epao insists, “I am where I am, doing what I do, all because of God’s incredible blessings and favour. I am amazed everyday by God’s tremendous endless love. I have experienced many miracles; overcome many an obstacle, because God’s umbrella of protection is always over me. It is true that trusting in God whole heartedly and having an unflinching faith in Him leads you far beyond your dreams.”
“Any credit I receive will be incomplete without mentioning my dearest sister Adule who provides me guidance, gives me unconditional love, grounds me and selflessly helps me in my business and pursuit of my dreams. She is my best friend, my little angel. In the absence of living parents, this is my highest treasure in life and my core brain trust. I thank God everyday for blessing me with such an incredible sister”, the successful Hollywood Producer puts across.

No comments:

Post a Comment