Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Aien Jamir ~ The Sweetest Thing



Like many others, she confesses that when asked about her ambition in life as a kid, a doctor naturally came to mind, which, ‘sadly didn’t happen’ in her own words. But Aien Jamir laughs it off and quickly adds instead, “But I am happy with what I am today and satisfied with my endeavour. After all, this is what I love doing...” She is a baker by profession, and a really good one at that, who was earlier selected along with 9 others to take up a 9-month vocational course in the United Kingdom by way of a joint scholarship from the Nagaland Government and Llandrillo College International Wales under CM’s Corpus Fund during 2007.
There, she opted for Food Preparation and Cooking (Bakery) and, on completion of the first 9-month course, she took an additional higher course for another 9 months in Professional Cookery (Patisserie and Confectionery). Prior to that, Aien did her early schooling from Kohima English School (now known as Mezhür) till her seventh grade after which she finished her matriculation from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, and later graduated from Jyoti Nivas College, Bangalore.
Recalling her UK experience as ‘amazing’, she says, “Everyday I was learning something new. Our chefs were always helpful and friendly and I looked forward to going to class every morning.”
Today, she caters to baking products that range from theme based birthday cakes for children to wedding cakes and desserts from home. Although she’s had professional training in this aspect, her interest for baking goes a long way back. “I had always been interested in cooking and baking since I was small. Thanks to my Dad who was a great cook, I would go to the kitchen every time he would cook and watch him. My interest expanded to baking and with the help of my aunt, who is a great baker, I started learning the basics,” she says.
The youngest among 3 daughters, Aien feels that no special skill is required to be a baker but insists that it is all in the interest one has in wanting to learn. I think she exemplifies true love for what she does when she says, “I consider myself successful in my profession and I am very passionate about my work.”
With a little shift taking place in the job sector, she hopes this will give some sort of confidence for those who are hesitant to look beyond the government job mindset. “I feel a lot of people are focused only on getting themselves a Government job as they feel there is more security in it,” she expresses.
The bubbly and open minded baker also sees growth and potential in her own field even as she explains, “Yes, because these days, especially for weddings and big occasions, people are looking for quality products. I see a lot of demand but just not enough supply so there is a lot of scope and prospect.”

But, of course, noting that there is a limited supply of baking tools, products and accessories in our State, she also feels that this is her biggest challenge... “So I am usually trying to improvise with what is available.”
She has catered to various sections of people, starting from family and friends to theme based birthday cakes for children, to wedding cakes and desserts. But she recalls her most memorable and biggest order as the former State DGP's daughter's wedding wherein she catered to a wide range of people.
The most common flavour people order is chocolate based, she observes. And she loves the challenge of theme-based projects. “I love working on theme based birthday cakes because my clients request for shapes ranging from guitars to footballs, to dolls and trucks,” she says.
The home-based accomplished baker, who works under the banner ‘The Sweetest Thing’, loves the flexibility of her job and is fascinated by anything to do with food. And for those interested in baking, she enthusiastically advises, “I say go for it and never think there isn't any scope in this field.”
As for herself, Aien hopes to expand her business so that she will be able to cater not just to people in Kohima and Dimapur but in other towns as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment