Monday, February 20, 2012

Stephen Lotha ~ The Style Guru

Fashion for him is more than academics even as Stephen Lotha recalls how he was fascinated by beautiful things from his childhood. He simultaneously started sketching gowns at a tender age of 9 and engrossed himself in fashion magazines.
As the conversation begins, he confesses “I love beautiful things, Marilyn Monroe, beautiful shoes etc” although when asked, if becoming a Stylist had always been his ambition, he was quick to say, “I wanted to be a star, flashbulbs, autographs and all, but it would have been scary if I had a sense of direction; it would have been dreadful if I grew up knowing everything, but yes, I was sure I wanted to be on TV or something like that.”
Talking of his childhood, he simply states, “I was a regular kid growing up; others wouldn’t agree because I was flamboyant, expressive and cheeky and with a single mother for a parent.” “It’s probably because my life as a kid was never rosy that it inspired me to be hungry for all things beautiful…because I knew there exists a world of fantasy out there”, he says.
So what does a Stylist really do? And he explains that a stylist puts together a look, from head to toe. In his words, it’s been a good 3 years now since he started working as a Freelance Stylist but still, with that enthusiasm, he adds “it feels like I have just started.” “I don’t feel that I have nailed it yet, but to be at a good place anywhere it is essential to be madly passionate and love what you do, love who you are”, he says.
He considers himself fortunate enough to have worked at Wills Fashion Week for three seasons as a stylist, and also having done Ad Campaigns for renowned brands like Adidas, Polo, Nestle, Honda, Yamaha among others. To add to his thriving career, the lively youth also has to his credit, a cover shoot with an International Sportswear Magazine. No wonder then, that he has worked with one of the best photographers in the industry. But to all these credentials, he gracefully says “I am so thankful for every minute”.
For him, the most challenging aspect of being a Stylist is to think beyond- “it’s a competitive place out here, so whether you are having a bad hair day or splitting headache you need to perform.” But then, he insists on trying to enjoy every minute of what he is doing and that, he says, gets him through.
When asked to share the most enriching experience in his profession, he expresses “I loved my stint at India fashion week, the energy, the madness, the glamour and every single second of everything.”
As he pulled on in his career with the fascination to be on TV, he also says, “I knew it from then that none of my uncles or aunties who are working in offices will ever get where I want to, so I knew that I have to take the other road and I did. I always thought I was great, the best and that belief is what pushed me.”
Indeed, the belief in oneself is so direly important to get people where they dream to be. Towards this end, he leaves with a message that goes- “This is to all kids who want to do different things in life, if you have a crazy dream, if there is a voice inside you telling you that you might be able to do something, maybe a James Cameron, Oscar de la Renta, or Yuri Gagarin, or Steve Jobs or anything there is, listen to that voice, keep praying, keep believing, keep at it, keep fighting, your dreams are yours if you would just stand up for yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you nothing because you are your own hero in this crazy world. Every dream starts somewhere; mine started in a small dingy room in a small town tucked in nothingness.”
With this, the lively 27 year old, who also loves writing and reading up everything on celebrities from Snooki to Kate Middleton, closes with a future plan to start his own clothing line, “a crazy one”, he insists.
And for one last question, when asked if he plans to come home in the near future, he reflectively says, “I’ll never be far away from home, that’s all I can say. My hometown is my blessing”.

3 comments:

  1. Hi.
    Thanks for this article.
    I am a Lotha too and felt nice to read about him. Keep up the good work Stephen!!!

    Regards,
    http://nokik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    thanks....yeah, always think about adding pics....end up busy and it's still pending...will do soon :)

    ReplyDelete